A first, rudimentary climate model
Who proposed had this idea first ?
- Click here if you are curious
- a = 0.3 = fraction of incoming sun light reflected back to earth
Earth's atmosphere does not hinder any sun light impinging on earth's surface
- Circulation of atmosphere ( wind ) and ocoan currents equalize temperature across the globe.
|Equator||+27°C = 300°K|
|North Pole||-34°C = 239.1°K|
|Antartic||−57°C = 216.2°K|
|Overall||14.6° C = 287.7°K|
- Gases in the atmosphere transmit sun light without any absorption
- Gases in the atmosphere transmit outgoing infra-red without any absorption
Energy received from sun
|Earth, total energy received from sun|
= π * R2 * ( 1 - a ) * L
a = 0.3 = fraction of incoming sun light reflected back to space (satellite)
Energy lost to space
|Earth, total energy emitted|
= 4 * π * R2 * σ* T4
Gains equal losses in the long term.
>>>>>> T = 255°K = -18°C = 0°F Snow Ball Earth
What are we missing ?
- Heat from inside earth
- Tidal friction
- Variation of energy produced by sun (11-year sun spot cycle, any long term variation ?)
- Variation of earth's orbit around sun ( ice ages )
- Ideas from the audience ....
Zig Herzog; email@example.com
Last revised: 08/23/13