Ideal Gas and Work
An ideal gas with a specific gas constant R=0.29 kJ/(kg K)
is compressed from an initial state, p1 = 0.1 MPa
v1=1 m3/kg, to a pressure
p2= 1 MPa.
During the compression, including the initial state, index 1, and the
end state, index 2, pressure and specific volume are related
according to :
p v1.2 = constant
- What is the value of the initial temperature, T1 ?
- What is the specific volume, v2, at the end of the compression ?
- What is the temperature, T2, at the end of the compression ?
- Derive the equation for the amount of work which has to be done to
compress 1 kg of the gas from the initial state 1 to the end state 2.
Start with the definition of work :
- Evaluate the equation obtained under 4) using the numbers you obtained